At what height should your flat screen be mounted?

In order to determine the height that the TV should be mounted, we first need to know the size of the TV, the viewing distance from the TV, the eye level height from the floor and the reclining sitting angle. Let me bring some easy to follow formulas and then I will explain them:

Viewing Distance (VD) is the distance from where you should be sitting, to the wall of where the TV will be mounted. You can find the VD if you know your TV Size (TVS) from the following formula:

(1)Viewing Distance (VD)=TVS/0.55. This is the optimum VD which is based on your TV size. You can also measure the VD based on how far you are sitting from your TV.

For example if your TV size (TVS) is 55in then the viewing Distance (VD) should be 100 inches (55/0.55).

Before we can calculate the TV Mounting Height (TVMH) we need to measure your Eye Level Height (ELH) from the floor, while you a sitting down on your couch. Once you measure your ELH we can find the TVMH by the following formula:

(2)TV Mounting Height (TVMH) =ELH+(VD*0.22)—To the midpoint of the TV

For example when I sit on my couch my ELH from the floor is 39 inches and the VD is 100 inches (see previous example) so my TVMH is 39+(100*0.22)=61 inches from the floor to the midpoint of the TV. So here is a table:

TV Mounting Height Installation Chart

TV SizeFloor to TV CenterOptimal Viewing Distance
42in 56in 76in
55in 61in 100in
65in 65in 118in
70in 67in 127in

Formula 1 is based to about 30 degrees of viewing angle that are within the limits of the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers, THX  and manufacturers’ recommendations for 16:9 HDTV’s.

Formula 2 is based on the average reclining angle of about 12.5 degrees from vertical ( sitting up straight) for casual sitting. Manufacturers range for casual sitting is 10-15 degrees.

tv height calculator

TV Mounting height formula

Please Check out our Wall Mounted TV Installation packages. Just mention “BlogDiscount” and get 10% off any product or service.

Copyright 2015

57 Responses to “ At what height should your flat screen be mounted? ”

1. Jason says:

I’m looking to hang a Samsung 9000 4K Flat screen TV. Top of the line. I’m 9′ 1/2″ feet from the unit although have no idea how high I need to be for the best view? Wall mount came Fedx today and hope to install the right height off the sofa site.

2. Debbie says:

We have a 65″ tv and we sit apx 8 feet from the tv. It’s a large wall, where on the wall should we mount the tv? Thanks

3. chris says:

Looking to put a 32″ on the wall in the bedroom. Whats to formula for that install? I figure most of the time it will be viewed while laying down, head propped up. Reclining angle will most likely be >30 degrees.

4. This is a very helpful post regarding mounting height. Actually, mounting height is one of the big questions for someone who just bought his flat screen TV. It’s really hard to figure out the right height if you don’t have any idea and you don’t know that such computations exists. The best way to enjoy watching on your flat screen is being at the right position, having the right height, and looking from the right distance because it won’t cause your eyes to sore and your back to strain.

5. Andrew says:

Does the “mounting height” mean the middle of tv screen should be at that height?

39 + (136 * 0.22) = 68.92

68.92 inches – top, bottom, or middle of tv ?

6. Ray says:

So, I tried the formula but am a bit confused… My TV Size is 60 inches, My Viewing Distance is 130 inches, and My Eye Level Height is 42…. How high should my TV be? Thank You.

7. The Good Doctor says:

The height calculations provided are too high according to THX standards where “Try not to place the screen too high on the wall – viewers should not have to look up more than 15°.”

Your calculations state then with using a 65″ tv with a viewing distance of 10ft and ELH of 39″ that the TVMH is 65″ (to the middle of the TV); to change this to the top of the tv one would add 20″ for a 40″ high 65″ tv
    65″ + 20″ = 85″

Using THX calculations using the same parameters would place the top of the TV no higher than 71″ for optimal height.
    tan 15 degrees = x [height] / 120″ [length]

ELH of 39″ + 32″ = 71″ max height to top of TV

• C S says:

You got the wrong angle. The angle in the formula is the reclining angle not the viewing angle. In other words if you sit up straight the TV should be mounted at eye level if you recline in your chair or couch then the TV will have to be mounted higher. The viewing angle is bet 15-30 and is taking care of by the viewing distance (15d for THX and 30d for the Society of Motion Picture Engineers)

8. Jen says:

This post is great!! I can’t seem to do the math right either. Could you please let me know what the TVMH (center of the TV) should be from the ground for the below measurements? Thanks!

160 viewing distance
    39″ Eye level height
    52 inch tv

9. Tim in Ohio says:

these details were very helpful, thanks so much!

10. Jennifer says:

What is the mounting height and/or to the midpoint of the TV for the followingflat screen:

Sanyo 55″ TV (model #DP55441)
    TV Width = 52.3″
    TV Height =3 6.5″
    TV Diagonal = 54.6″
    TV Depth = 14.9″

VD = 99″
    ELH = 45″

Wall Mount :
    Tilts = +15 degree to -5 degree
    Extends = 14.0″
    Pans up to 180 degree
    Retracts = 3.2″

11. Guy in Miami says:

My VD is much longer than your suggested formula. Can you assist what height to place the TV?
    I have a VD of 223″ and ELH of 36″ and a 75″ flat TV

12. GAURAV says:

VD-108 INCH.
    ELH–56 INCH

13. Gareth says:

Great post, thanks

Could you help me work out the height needed to mount my tv please?

TV size 47inches
    ELH 39.5inches
    VD 102 inches

Many Thanks

• C S says:

Hi Gareth
      Using tvmh=elh+(vd*22) where elh=39.5in and vd=102in. tvmh=39.5+(102*0.22) so the TV Mounting Height should be 62in to the middle of the TV

14. Dan says:

Am I missing something? Sorry if this is a dumb question.. But shouldn’t your formula include the mounting angle of the tv from the wall? (i.e. when it’s in the high position, because I assume you are slouching back with a large viewing angle)?

15. This article is pretty good to read. Great!!
    Thanks for sharing, I would like to post it on my Twitter to share with my friends?

16. StewartM says:

Hi. I’ve a 55″ LED TV with an ELH of 36″ and a VD of 198″. Not to sure how to calculate the correct height from those formulas as my VD is twice the ideal distance for my TVS?

17. Chris Lewis says:

Hi, could you assist in center of TV mounting height? Thanks!
    Sharp 70″
    Actual Diagonal – 64″
    Height – 38″
    Midpoint – 16.50
    Seated Eye Level Height – 39″
    Actual Viewing Distance – 150″

18. Henry Sloan III says:

Good info. But isn’t looking upward at the TV likely to cause neck pain? Also, the verb should be “lie” back, not “lay” back.

19. JGrimp says:

Hi, and thanks for the formula.
    TV is 52″
    Viewing distance is 100
    ELH is 42
    TVMH around 61″ seem a little high???
    Thanks for the feedback … JG

20. Halim says:

I have 55 inch LED . Viewing distance 190 inch .. What should be the height of the TV

21. Jeff says:

Hi I have a 46″ tv
    Eye level is 40″
    Viewing distance is 140″
    How high should I put the tv center
    Thanks Great site

• admin says:

“Hi I have a 46″ tv
      Eye level is 40″
      Viewing distance is 140″
      How high should I put the tv center”

TV Mounting height would be 40in (ELH) + 140 in (VD) *0.22 (which is tanΘ, the reclining angle at 12.5 degrees) OR

22. Rick says:

• admin says:

“I have a 55 in LED, seated eye Level height = 39 in, viewing distance = 114in. At what height should my TV be mounted? Thanks.”
      TV Mounting height would be 39in (ELH) + 114 in (VD) *0.22 (which is tanΘ, the reclining angle at 12.5 degrees) OR

23. Rav says:

• admin says:

“I have 42 inch LED tv. ELH is 40 inch, Viewing Distance is 105 inch. What should be the height to the center of the TV?”
      TV Mounting height would be 40in (ELH) + 105 in (VD) *0.22 (which is tanΘ, the reclining angle at 12.5 degrees) OR

24. oriser says:

what would be the center height of my tv for mounting?

Panasonic 55″ plasma
    viewing distance 96″
    seated eye level 43″

• admin says:

Assuming a reclining angle of 12.5 degrees when sitting then the TV mounting Height to the center of the TV will be:

25. Dave says:

Hi, could you assist in center of TV mounting height? Thanks!
    Vizio 70″
    Actual Diagonal – 69.5″
    Height – 38″
    Midpoint – 19″
    Seated Eye Level Height – 39″
    Actual Viewing Distance – 150″

• admin says:

Hi Dave

Assuming a reclining angle of 12.5 degrees(tanΘ=0.22) then your TVMH should be:
      TVMH=72 inches to the center of the TV from the floor

26. Aaron says:

Hi there,

I have a 55 inch flat screen. VD is 11ft (132″) and the ELH of 3ft 38″. Can you advise of the tv height.
    Great web site as well. Merry Xmas from Oz!

27. Sunil says:

1 First would like to derive formula if the VD is more than the expected. In case of Lodge, how did you derive 0.4 factor!!

Mine is
    12 ft i.e 144″ from wall
    40 inch tv ( height is 22″)
    ELH : 40″

What TVMH here?

• admin says:

Sunil the optimum viewing distance of a 40in TV should be 40/.55=72in. In your case if we assume you will lay back on your couch (12 degree of reclining angle) then you should mount your TV at 40+144*0.22=72in

28. Sharmun says:

Great site, love your work and ideas. I have successfully mounted my 42inch tv set. What would you suggest for a LG Flatron M197WAP? TIA

29. Sai says:

Thanks for the very useful post. Can you please suggest height of the tv to be hanged from your formula for a 55 inch TV (height 27.8) , VD = 14 feet, ELH = 40 inch

30. Natalie says:

My viewing distance from our 50 inch will be 200″ eye level distance will be 40″ what would the mounting height be? I can’t seem to figure it out. Help please! Lol

31. Lodge Weber says:

At 68″, my particular set would then be 87″ – which is better in my estimation, however aesthetically i believe i’m going to wind up with a 53 or 54″ center of TV mounting… going backwards with function following form.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

32. I read this article with great interest as i found it to be the only one with a formula for precise measurements. Thank you.

I own a 70″ LCD/LED , have an eye height of 40″ and have a viewing distance of approximately 13 – 14 feet (3 to 4 feet longer than the ideal distance of 10.6′) – with your formula, the midpoint of the television should be 77″ – WOW! that would place the top of the television at 8 feet…while i do have close to an 11′ ceiling, this just seems way too high. There are other discussions / recommendations to have the television placed at eye level (my opinion too low) or around 1 foot above eye level – for me 52″ which “feels” more comfortable. the reason i mention this is that when going to a movie theater, i always try to sit just below mid-screen center. Understanding there are always personal preferences and variations involved, i do appreciate the time and thought process that went into this calculation.

• admin says:

Hi Lodge
      If you are sitting 14ft away from your TV formula 1 assumes that your TV is 92in instead of 70in. If you combine formula 1 and formula 2 then the TV mounting Height would be (TVMH)=ELH+TVS*0.4. Where ELH would be the Eye Level Height and TVS would be the TV size in inches. In your case if you plug in ELH=40in and TVS=70in the TV mounting height would be 68in to the middle of the TV.

33. Dan says:

In the above chart, shouldn’t the 65″ tv be 65″ (39+26=65) mounting height, and the 70″ tv be 67″ (39+28=67) mounting height?

34. alice Dahbura says:

For a 103″ Flat TV, what is the Mounting Height ?

• admin says:

About 6.7 ft to the middle of the TV, assuming your eye height from the floor is 40 in when you sit at your couch.

35. Just re-read you comments and noticed your example states “to the midpoint of TV”, so I’m all set. Thanks, again.

36. This is helpful, thanks. One question, can you please clarify TVMH (ie. bottom edge of TV, top edge, some other point)? Thanks!